Chronological History Of Elbert Memorial Hospital
March 11, 1949 Hospital Authority gives "Go". Work will begin in a few weeks on a new hospital site for Elberton - Elbert County Hospital.
March 18, 1949 Daniel Construction Co. and Authority sign contract for construction of $800,000 hospital. Architect is William J.J. Chase.
July 18, 1950 Hospital is complete and awaits furnishings.
August 4, 1950 Contractor Mr.& Mrs. Charles E. Daniel of Anderson, S.C. have asked the privilege of landscaping grounds in memory of Mrs. Daniel's parent's Mr.& Mrs. H.C. Mickel.
September 5, 1950 Louis Patz presents $3000 from his father Sam Patz's estate. V.F.W. furnishes hospital lobby and donates two iron lungs.
September 13, 1950 Mrs. Jean McGinty is named First hospital administrator.
September 15, 1950 Gov. Herman Talmadge dedicates "one of the nation's finest" hospitals. Raymond Stapleton, attorney for Hospital Authority, is master of ceremonies.
September 25, 1950 New Elbert Hospital admits it first patients. First White patient is Howard Baker.
First Black patient is John Rucker. First Baby born is James Virgil Moon, son of Mr.& Mrs. Gordon Moon.
September 30, 1950 First Baby girl born is Jane Seymour (Crow), daughter of Mr.& Mrs. Horace Seymour.
November 27, 1950 First Twins are Alec and Phil, sons of Mr. & Mrs. R.A. Willey.
August 21, 1951 Six cases of polio have been reported. Hospital has set aside an isolation ward.
September 25, 1952 In the two years since the hospital has opened, there have been 2726 bed patients admitted, 951 operations, 437 babies born and 2004 outpatient services performed.
March 3, 1952 Thompson-Johnson Hospital is to close, leaving just one hospital.
January 21, 1955 DCT program at Elberton High School has on-job study at hospital.
August 28, 1955 First Triplets born are Mallory, Philip and Wray, sons of Mr.& Mrs. E. Chandler Brown.
August 1955 Granite City Bank, 1st. National Bank, Gallant Belks Co., Bowers Furniture Co. and Elberton Mills made gifts of air conditioners.
May 8, 1956 Elbert Hospital gets full accreditation (of 152 hospitals in state, only 40 are fully accredited).
August 30, 1959 "Gray Ladies", sponsored by the Red Cross, receive Nursing Caps and are ready to serve hospital as volunteers.
May 22,1962 Check for laboratory equipment is given to hospital from the Estate of Charles W. & Fannie Parker.
July 27, 1962 Granite Sales and Supply Corp. donates a "Pulmonary Ventilator" Machine.
November 5, 1963 Beta Delta Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi donates money to pay for a Blood Bank.
March 10, 1964 Grand Jury recommends that the present 50-bed hospital be enlarged and the entire facility be air-conditioned.
April 22, 1965 Beta Sigma Phi raises $650 to be used for the planned addition.
December 20, 1966 Hill - Burton Federal Grant of $280,000 is to be applied toward 40-bed facility.
January 17, 1967 County Commissioners approve $300,000 referendum for hospital addition.
February 22, 1967 Elbert voters approve Bond for hospital.
December 12, 1967 Architectural Firm of Abreu and Robeson, Inc. of Atlanta and Terry Development Corp. of Athens agree that actual construction of hospital can begin at the first of next year.
February 12, 1968 "Candy Striper" Program is organized by Civic League to aid Hospital Service.
January 13, 1969 Ambulances are ordered for service and will be based at the hospital per an agreement between Hospital Authority and Elbert County Commissioners.
April 30, 1969 Mrs. Jean McGinity retires as Administrator.
August 1, 1969 Two new ambulances arrive for service.
March 25, 1970 Elberton-Elbert County Hospital Auxiliary, sponsored by Civic League, is organized.
May 18, 1970 New 40 bed wing of hospital is opened.
October 2, 1970 Mrs. Walter A. Long of Comer is 50,000th patient.
August 13, 1971 Flagpole is donated by Granite City and 1st. National Banks and flag is donated by D.A.R.
October 20, 1972 Pilot Club donates 3 pieces of equipment for respiratory care.
October 5, 1973 Auxiliary donates air conditioning for surgical waiting room, plus piping for anesthetic gases in the operating and delivery rooms.
October 25, 1974 Cherokee Garden Club and the Auxiliary donate waste containers for grounds.
November 18, 1975 Kiwanis Club donates an Ultrasound Stethoscope, used for fetal pulse detection.
December 2, 1975 N.E. Chapter of March of Dimes donates infant warmer and 2 Hope Resuscitators.
April 2, 1976 Authority breaks ground on $890,000 addition.
May 9, 1978 V.F.W. donates Whirlpool machine to the physical therapy unit. Auxiliary donates an infant intensive care unit.
May 1, 1979 Pilot Club sponsors chapel for hospital.
May 1980 EMS of Elberton-Elbert Co. Hospital receives the "EMS of the Year Award".
June 6, 1980 Anne Jenson donates artwork for new labor room.
June 13, 1980 Elbert County Foundation donates $3500 for cardiopulmonary resuscitator machine.
September 23, 1980 Moose Lodge and Women of the Moose donate a "Trauma Box".
January 1981 New prints for rooms donated by the Auxiliary and Jane Coleman.
February 10, 1981 Auxiliary donates labor bed at cost of $5000.
October 27, 1983 Voters give approval to General Obligation Bonds for funding of modernization project.
January 26, 1984 Authority reviews plan of 3.5 million estimated cost of new facility.
May 15, 1984 Auxiliary donates $7000 for foot massager for physical therapy and a defibrillator for obstetrics.
August 19, 1984 Ground Breaking Ceremony for new addition takes place.
February 26, 1985 Authority member Mamie Simpkins proposes name change of hospital to Elbert Memorial Hospital because of the service given in past by doctors and nurses and the gifts the hospital has received through the years.
May 1, 1986 V.F.W. donates flag and flagpole.
January 5, 1988 The Johnson Family donates a granite bench in memory of Dr. Sid Johnson.
1989 Helipad is dedicated.
June 12, 1990 Civic League donates $1800 toward purchase of pulse oximeter for use in nursery.
June 30, 1990 Civic League donates 2 park benches for courtyard area.
October 31, 1990 Hospital signs a contract for a mobile lithotripsy service.
February 27, 1991 Laparoscopic Laser Surgery is introduced.
January 1, 1992 EMS is under the auspices of county government, but will be housed at EMH
March 3, 1993 Authority approves $140,000 ultrasound purchase.
August 4, 1993 Hospital doors are automated from donations from Auxiliary and Joan Slocumbe Memorial Fund.
August 15, 1993 Plans are made to expand outpatient wing.
August 25, 1993 Hospital buys all new beds.
March 28, 1994 Everlasting and Bradford Granite Companies donate granite table and benches.
March 3, 1994 EMH affiliates with Emory University Hospital.
May 4, 1994 $156,000 is to be spent on new anesthesia machines.
February 28, 1995 EMH establishes Wellness Center. It is to be located in the Elbert County Board of Education Facility.
April 15, 1995 Wellness Center opens.
May 9, 1995 $20,000 is donated by citizens for Wellness Center equipment.
May 30, 1995 Tom Oglesby of Keystone Granite donates exterior granite signs, designed by Joe Fernandez.
June 13, 1995 EMH sets up a Mammography Program certified by the Food and Drug Administration and the American College of Radiology. Four certified technologists are at EMH.
June 27, 1995 Authority gives approval for purchase of $90,000 piece of equipment called "C-Arm" for use in orthopedic surgery.
August 1, 1995 EMH adds speech to physical therapy program.
October 31, 1995 Hospital Foundation receives tax-exempt number from IRS.
February 6, 1996 EMH asks for $650,000 of SPLOST monies to go toward the proposed 3.1 million expansion and renovation project.
March 5, 1996 EMH loses SPLOST by 43 votes.
July 23, 1996 Auxiliary gives Foundation $1000 toward paving new parking lot.
August 27, 1996 Authority votes to purchase fiber optic choledochoscope at cost of $9,044.
September 23, 1996 First time program "Lunch and Learn" is well received.
November 26, 1996 EMH and Elbert County Council on Child Abuse will jointly sponsor "First Steps" Program.
February 19, 1997 EMH and ECCHS are teaming up to offer the "Youth Apprenticeship" Program.
September 2, 1997 Authority votes to purchase 2 portable negative ventilation device units at cost of $8000.
March 10, 1998 Wellness Center is to implement a Phase II Cardiac Rehabilitation Program.
March 31, 1998 Authority approves purchases of a defibrillator at cost of $7950, a refurbished X-ray processor at cost of $12,500 and an ultrasound unit.
June 30, 1998 Wellness Center expands.
August 4, 1998 Authority votes to purchase bone density analysis machine at cost of $15,000 and IV pumps at cost of $97,000.
November 3, 1998 Auxiliary donates funds to Wellness Center's Cardiac Phase II Program.
March 18, 1999 EMH Foundation dedicates Ira Pickens & Lucile Fountain Holliman parking lot. Mrs. Janie New was the benefactor for the parking lot.
March 31, 1999 EMH buys CT Scanner at $302,000 and Cardiac Monitoring System for Wellness Center at $20,000.
June 2, 1999 Auxiliary will fund new TV's at a cost of $8-10,000.
September 1, 1999 Authority votes to spend $193,300 to upgrade 3 pieces of existing equipment.
October 13,1999 Foundation's First Golf Classic raises over $10,000 for hospital renovation.
February 26, 2000 Foundation's Art Auction raises over $5000 for hospital renovation.
May 3, 2000 Auxiliary donates $10,000 for Continuous Motion equipment.
September 2000 50th BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION of EMH
September 6, 2000 Auxiliary Appreciation Brunch and 30th Anniversary of EMH Auxiliary
September 21, 2000 Community Birthday (Elbert County Chamber of Commerce's Business After Hours), Health Fair and Open House
September 23, 2000 Employees Sock Hop/Skating Party
September 30, 2000 Dinner and Dance Charity Ball